Do I have any rights if I’m not married to my partner?

Yes, you do. But the rights of “cohabitants” (couples who are living together, but are not married to each other) are much less than for those couples who are married (either by license or at common law). Rights each party has against the other – as well as the responsibilities that each has to the other – vary widely depending on the circumstances and the ways in which the couple has obtained property over the time of their relationship.

Kansas recognizes a claim for “equitable division” of jointly obtained property between unmarried cohabitants. Under this type of action, Kansas courts have the power to “equitably divide” any property that was jointly owned or was intended to be jointly owned (although held only in the name of one of the cohabitants). The only way to know how this principle applies to any individual relationship is to talk with a lawyer about your specific circumstances, including how property was obtained, in whose name it is held or titled, who paid for it, what discussions about that and other property there were, and other similar matters.

Kansas courts cannot award “spousal support” to a cohabitant – Kansas law allows a court only to grant support to a spouse or for the benefit of a child from the relationship.