How can I change my child’s name?

Kansas law requires that in order to change a child’s name from that originally given, a Petition for Name Change be filed, or that the statutes governing a particular kind of action provide for such a name change. Kansas cases indicate that a child’s name may be changed if the court finds the change to be in the best interests of the child. The Courts do not have the power within either a divorce action or a parentage action to change the name of a child. Kansas law expresses no preference that a child be named after the father. Where there is opposition to a name change, the Court must decide what would best serve the interests of the child.